Wednesday, December 3, 2014

KISS Designing and a tutorial

How many times have you fallen in love with a bead and thought of all the elaborate things you could do with it and ended up putting it back in your stash because nothing you think of is right?  This happens all to often to me.  Then it hit me!

Keep It Simple Stupid!

Some beads need to just be the focal like this Treeman by Jenny.  I can not tell you how many times I have taken this out of the box only to place it sweetly back in because I can not make it work.

I have been so wrapped up in redoing our sons room, holidays and working on a design that is requiring a lot of research and step away time and I needed to complete SOMETHING.

On the Treeman necklace I used o-beads and beautiful AB lined olivine.  I used them all in the completion of the necklace.  What to do if I want to give you all a little tutorial?

No worried how bout showing you with tri-beads.  Yes I said tri-beads!

If you want to give this a go here is the step by step.

You will need:
 O-beads or Tri-Beads
 15gr size 11/0 seed beads

Pick up 5 11/0 beads, 1 tri-bead, 5 11/0 beads and 1 tri-bead

Go through the first 5 seed beads added

Pick up 1 tri-bead, 5 seed beads and 1 tri-bead

Go back through the beginning 5 seed beads, the tri-bead just added and the next 5 seed beads added in the beginning of this step.

Pick up 1 tri-bead and go through the the 5 seed beads in step one.

Pick up 1 tri-bead and go through the 5 seed beads at the start of this step.  

Pull beadwork snug and go through all the top tri-beads.

Using these tri-beads as the base for the next steps.

Pick up 5 seed beads, 1 tri-bead and 5 seed beads and go through the tri-bead from the beginning of this step in the opposite direction and the next tri-bead in the base.

Pick up 1 tri-bead and 5 seed beads and go back through the tri-bead you started from and the next tri-bead in the base.

Pick up 1 tri-bead and 5 seed beads go through the tri-bead you started from and the next tri-bead.

In this step you will go through the 5 seed beads on the other side of the tri-bead you just passed through.

Pick up 1 tri-bead and pass through the 5 seed beads to complete the side.  Go through the tri-bead in the base, back up through the 5 seed beads and through all the top tri-beads. 

Repeat these steps to create the length of chain you desire


Let me know what you think and if you do give it a go make sure to send me a link to it!



3 comments :

  1. Kristen, I certainly admire the work you do. Seed bead work makes my head spin just looking at the tutorial. Here's a question that may be a silly one, but what stringing material do you use? I'm guessing it must be some type of thread.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kristen, Your necklace is beautiful. The tri and O's add lots of texture to your straps. I have just made my first design using the O beads and I liked them.

    ReplyDelete

We would love to hear what you have to say, please leave a comment.